Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pilots, Part Two: Spy! Spy! My Darling!

My fall TV coverage continues with CW's

Nikita

Nikita is based on the 1990 French film La Femme Nikita. It's about a girl (Maggie Q) who was trained as a spy by the government agency known as the Division. When the Division killed her fiance, she fled and went into hiding for three years. Now she's back to take down the corrupt organization that ruined her life.


I hate to draw comparisons between Nikita and Alias, but it's kind of hard not to. Their premises are mighty similar, right down to the murdered fiance. And although I'd love to see more shows like Alias, there's something that show had that Nikita lacks. Alias was an action show, but what made it so great were the variety of characters and interesting relationships.

That's what we watch TV for. People will go see a movie for the action and special effects and pretty girls in bathing suits. But people will not tune in to a TV show week after week for these things. What keeps viewers coming back are characters that they care about, that they feel a connection to, a need to check in with them once a week. Nikita delivers on action and pretty girls, but none of the characters really grabbed me, least of all Nikita herself.

A pilot needs to be able to prove to me that there are lots of interesting stories to be mined from the series premise. Nikita will definitely be able to deliver great action and thrills, but I'm struggling to see where the emotional stories will come from. So once again, this doesn't seem like a show I'll be watching.

Things start to get crazy Monday, September 20 with the premieres of Chase and The Event on NBC, CBS's Mike and Molly and Hawaii Five-O, and Lone Star on FOX. I'll be trying my best to keep up!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you have to say in this post.

    ReplyDelete