Saturday, April 24, 2010

Believing in 'God's Favorite'

Tonight I saw a performance of the Neil Simon comedy God's Favorite at La Salle University. I'd like to discuss a certain scene.

After beginning with some humorous and light exposition, the story really gets going when our main character (Joe) has an encounter with a mysterious stranger. Did I say gets going? I meant comes to a screeching halt. The next fifteen minutes or so are devoted to the following:

1. Wacky double-talk from the zany stranger
2. Countless variations of Joe saying, "What are you doing in my house?"

Finally, Joe says he is calling the police. After FIFTEEN MINUTES. It's mind-boggling.


JOE
I'm gonna give you one more chance to tell me why you're in my living room.

STRANGER
Something about the movie Chinatown! Gimme a Yoo-Hoo!


(NOTE: not a direct quote)

A scene is built on conflict, of course. The conflict in this scene is that the stranger has a cryptic message to deliver, but Joe wants the crazy man to get out. There's only so long Joe can believably abide the stranger's presence before taking some kind of action. He could attack the stranger, run out of the house, call for help, just about anything but continue the same tactic for FIFTEEN MINUTES. The scene flatlines after about four lines.

Even in a silly comedy, suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment