Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm a Huge Fan

It's been a slow summer for TV. Sure, Futurama's back in style, but one series does not a season make. But there is another summer show I've been keeping up with - Huge. Never heard of it? Of course not. It's on ABC Family.


I don't usually check out what's on ABC Family - it's generally aimed at the tween-to-teen range - but I tuned in for Huge because the name Winnie Holzman was attached. You may remember her as the creator of My So-Called Life. (Huge was actually created by Holzman and her daughter, Savannah Dooley. You may remember Savannah Dooley as the daughter of the creator of My So-Called Life.) The show follows the stories of a group of teenagers at a fat camp, and tackles some sensitive issues with grace and honesty.

Huge is not perfect by any means, but I'm finding it to be quite watchable, at times downright enjoyable. Well, let's be honest. It's kind of knocked my socks off. And the fact that it stars Nikki Blonsky and Gina Torres is sort of just the icing on the cake.

I like that the show doesn't preach a message, and it could have easily gone into that territory. It doesn't say "if you work hard you can make a better, more beautiful you", and it doesn't say "you're beautiful just the way you are". It just raises questions and ideas about body image, self-esteem, and healthy living. It lets the viewer sort it out. Which is kind of nice.

One last thought, from Winnie Holzman herself. In this interview with the Huffington Post, Holzman talks about the importance of seeing yourself on TV. Take it away, Winnie:
"I really learned that when I got into television, I really learned the power, how deeply it affects people to see themselves on television, to see something that they can relate to, that they feel is like them in some way, people feel validated. Its not a little thing, it really means a lot to people."

No comments:

Post a Comment